Friday, January 6, 2012

My grocery store cashier was a ladyboy

Back at Sasa house with a little time to spare before dinner with a Kellogg crew on Sukhumvit St, so figured I'd go for blog entry #2. Pretty proud I haven't given up yet. Had a great day exploring my surroundings with a few friends, and, even after walking for two hours, feel like I've barely seen a tiny portion of what the city has to offer. Highlights included a fresh-squeezed orange juice from a street vendor for 30 cents, strolling through the beautiful grounds of Chulalongkorn University, where I am now a student, getting lost in the seven floors of MBK mall, sampling the local beer, Chang, which is not only tasty but also has an alcohol content of 6.4%, and walking through piles of junk and auto parts at Samyan Market, the only place I've ever been where you can buy a car engine and a caged tropical bird in one trip. The best part, however, was when I went to buy shampoo at the local market and the cashier was a beautifully made-up, exquisitely dressed...man. What a fascinating place. Speaking of fascinating, if anyone can shed any light on why everything in my bathroom (shower head, towel rack, mirror) is positioned eight feet high on the wall and only reachable if one stands on their tip-toes, please do let me know.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Bangkok, Thailand

2 comments:

  1. Hi Elizabeth-

    I don't think we've seen each other since we hit puberty but your mom sent me the link to your blog and of course I had to read how things are going in my dear old city, Bangkok... A couple words of advice -

    1. Be careful with Chang, or you'll become acquainted with the notorious "Changover" (seriously don't know what they put in that stuff)

    2. DO IT ALL. AND BLOG ABOUT IT. I, like you, am a woman of fleeting passion (are you also an Aries? Apparently we suck at 'sticking' with things), but the blog entries I have from my time in Thailand are as precious as the memories themselves. Keep it up and you'll be forever grateful, I promise.

    Have an amazing adventure! I'll be living vicariously from mid-town Manhattan.

    xxx,

    Charlotte Haigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, both of my favorite intrepid travellers. Charlotte never mentioned Changovers to me...wonder why??? Love, Charlotte's mom

    ReplyDelete